They say everything old is new again, and that’s certainly true when it comes to fashion. Even the latest trends often give a nod to a throwback style and while we’re happy to never have to see some styles ever again – the 80’s had some particularly dubious looks! – it’s fun to look to the past and take some style tips from fashions that have come and gone.
The key to rocking the vintage look successfully is choose your pieces carefully – here are some important dos and don’ts for doing vintage right!
- Do look at current trends and see how they relate to past fashions. With so many designers taking their cues from the past, you’ll be able to identify those pieces and then look for them at your local thrift or vintage clothing store. Doing this allows you to look totally on-trend with a vintage vibe.
- Do stick to styles that suit your body type. While it’s tempting to jump on every trend, sometimes it’s just not going to be the most flattering for you, so figure out what works for you and what doesn’t. If you love the 70’s but wide-legged pants swamp your petite frame, choose a 70’s inspired top instead to pair with pants that are more your style.
- Don’t go head to toe vintage unless you’re going to a costume party! While enthusiasm for certain decade is great, going overboard will just make you look dated. Instead, pick out some key elements from the era that you love, such as a certain style of skirt or jacket, and pair that with something current and up to date.
- Do keep your hair and make-up current. An up-to-date hairstyle and make-up look will avoid that over-the-top feeling and give you a fresh, funky and modern buzz. It can be fun to throw in a vintage element such as a 1950’s cat’s eye or pale pink 1960’s pout, but keep it subtle and low key.
- Don’t forget to accessorize. Showing your love for all things vintage with shoes, purses and jewelry is a great way to incorporate the style into your daily look and a super-affordable way to add awesome vintage pieces to your wardrobe. A pair of antique earrings or vintage Chanel purse won’t break the bank and are items that will stand the test of time.
- Do get your favorite finds altered if necessary. If you’ve found that perfect 1950’s Givenchy coat but it’s not the right size, find an experienced dressmaker who can tweak it to be the perfect fit and make it look like it was tailor-made just for you.
- Do take the time to find classic pieces that will never go out of style. You can never go wrong with a little black dress and once you’ve found the perfect piece, there will be endless ways you can dress it up or down to suit your mood and the occasion. A great vintage coat is also a good investment as long as it’s in a timeless style and not obviously from one particular era.
- Do have fun mixing it up. A flowing 1970’s maxi dress paired with a motorcycle jacket, a pretty floral 1950’s dress with tights and Doc Marten boots or delicate 30’s era cardigan paired with your favorite pair of distressed jeans gives your look an eclectic, exciting vibe that takes the best elements of style for a look people won’t forget.